여자의 일생| The One with Ada - The Life of a Woman: Episode 12 (2018)
[CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD]
The More Sibyl Podcast Presents:
Here’s introducing my friend, Ada – one of the most beautiful souls I have ever met, who served in the US military. We began her story from growing up in Nigeria, moving to the US, being drafted into the army, getting married, surviving an eventful divorce, raising multicultural kids, and life as a single mom.
We explored divorce in a cultural context (stigma, shame, losing friends, etc.) and what we can do to support divorcees around us (and it is not by choosing sides or totally avoiding them like a plague). We also talked about PTSD, mental health, and ways to self-care - post-divorce.
Outro-ish Song: *Don’t Let Us Get Sick* by Pat Guadagno; the original song was by Warren Zevon
Fun fact about Ada: She backpacked across Europe.
PS: To all the veterans like Ada, thank you for your service.
How to Thrive after a Divorce:
- Choose your battles
- Stay alive
- Do not rush into any kind of relationship (except with Ben and Jerry’s Ice-cream and chocolates, of course, :-D)
- Take your time to open up
- Be vulnerable but not enough to allow reopening of old, healed wounds
- Don’t waste yesterday’s tears on today
- You need to draw from others but they may not be ready nor willing to give you what you need
- Move to a new city (if practicable)